Calm Air understands pets are very important family members to you, and their comfort and safety is of the utmost importance to us. We also understand that air travel can be a stressful experience for our furry friends, so we ask that you please review the following travel options and requirements to ensure your pet has a safe and comfortable flight.
- Requests to bring animals must be made in advance, preferably at time of booking or within 24 hours of making your online booking. Please call Calm Air Reservations at 1-800-839-2256 to include your pet in your reservation information.
- The number of kennels accepted on a flight is limited, so if a flight has reached its limit for the number of pets allowed, it may be required that your reservation be modified in order to accommodate your pet.
Pets in the Cabin
Calm Air allows small household pets such as dogs, cats, birds, rabbits, gerbils, guinea pigs and hamsters to travel in the aircraft cabin with the passenger, provided they are in a kennel small enough to fit under the seat. The pet kennel is part of the carry-on baggage allowance and is subject to a one-way charge of $78.75.
- Pets must be placed in an airline-approved carrier (see Pet Carriers below).
- The pet kennel must not exceed the dimensions (LxWxH) of 19 in x 13 in x 10 in, and the combined weight of pet and kennel must not exceed 20 lbs.
- Pets must remain in the kennel, under the seat, at all times.
- Only one kennel per person is permitted.
- Special service animals that assist customers with a disability are allowed in the cabin at no charge, provided they have a registered training certificate.
- Reptiles (including snakes and lizards) and animals such as rats, mice, ferrets, weasels, etc. cannot be carried in the cabin.
Pets in the Baggage Compartment
Your pet will travel on the same flight as you do, in a temperature controlled and ventilated baggage compartment. The pet kennel is not included in the free checked baggage allowance and is always subject to a one-way charge of either:
- $78.75 when the combined weight of pet + kennel is 70 lbs or less
- $157.50 when the combined weight of pet + kennel exceeds 70 lbs
Please also note that:
Pets must be placed in an airline-approved carrier (see Pet Carriers below).
- Puppies/kittens under six months old from the same litter can travel in groups of three in the same kennel.
- A maximum of two dogs/cats may travel in the same kennel provided they are used to cohabitation with each other and do not weigh more than 31 lbs each. Any animal 31 lbs or more must have its own kennel.
- Only two kennels per person/family are permitted.
Unaccompanied pets must be shipped through cargo. Rates are based on weight and volume of the combined animal and kennel and the same rules as listed above apply when sending your pet through cargo. Please contact your local Calm Air cargo office for further information, as other conditions for the acceptance of pet carriers do apply.
Requirements are as follows:
- Soft-sided carriers are permitted for pets traveling in the cabin only.
- Hard-sided carriers are recommended and must have proper holes for ventilation. Wire kennels are not permitted.
- All carriers must be secure, in good condition, leak-proof, and contain absorbent material.
- No part of the animal is allowed to protrude from the kennel. The carrier must be large enough to allow the animal(s) to stand, turn around and lie down comfortably. If the carrier does not allow the animal to do this, transport will be refused.
- Wheels on kennels must be removed before transport.
- To help you obtain an adequate carrier for your pet(s), Calm Air will transport empty containers to your point of origin free of charge. Please contact Calm Air cargo to make these arrangements.
Tips for Pet Preparation
Since Calm Air assumes no responsibility for the care or feeding of pets while in transit, it is recommended that you prepare the carrier and your pet ahead of time.
- Give your pet water right up to the time of travel. Please provide a watering dish inside the carrier so that agents can provide water in the event of extended waits. Please empty the water dish before the flight to avoid spillage.
- Exercise your pet immediately before leaving for the airport.
- Tranquillizers and other medications are not generally recommended. Please consult your veterinarian.
- Cover the bottom of the kennel with absorbent material such as a blanket.
- Secure but do not lock the carrier as an agent may need to access your pet in the case of emergency.
- A favorite toy or article inside the container may help to calm your pet.
- Please mark the pet’s name on the outside of the container so that our agents can better reassure the animal when talking to him/her.
Pregnant animals, animals in heat (estrus), and animals less than eight weeks old should not travel, as the animal’s health may be affected. Please consult your veterinarian.